Trainee exercises and notes.
Don't start each exercise until the teacher asks you to.
(If you have not already done this for homework...)
- Log in to github with the account you use for CYF coursework
- Visit https://www.netlify.com/
- Click "get started for free"
githubunder "Sign up with one of the following"
- Read the permissions you are granting and click "authorize netlify"
- Deploy your "responsive cakes" homework using the instructions below
- project name:
- Name the site cyf-YOUR-GITHUB-USERNAME-cakes
Instructions: the instructions are here.
- Make some VERY quick visual changes to your site in vscode (change an
<h1>or a background colour)
- Commit and push the change to github (to the same branch you chose at setup)
- Check your site url again - is it updated? (it might take 60 seconds)
- Check on someone's phone, too.
- Check your neighbour's site (send the link via slack)
Use the standard format for site names for all CYF coursework projects - see site naming conventions
- cyf-[your github username]-[exact project name as supplied by teacher]
- karma clone
- project name:
- Set up netlify to automatically deploy it
- Set up the site title correctly
- Test the deployed site to check it seems ok
- Make (and push) some changes to check the site is redeployed automatically
- Test the site on your phone, and bookmark it
- Test the site of the person sitting next to you!
Fork this repo: p5js minimal example
deploy it as cyf-username-p5js
Set up netlify to automatically deploy it
Set up the site title correctly (CYF naming conventions!)
Test the deployed site to check it seems ok
Make (and push) some changes to check the site is redeployed automatically
Test the site on your phone, and bookmark it
Test the site of the person sitting next to you!
Instructions for deleting a site (if you need them).
- The CYF Netlify auto-deploy CheatSheet (for when you forget all this stuff)
- We'll revisit Netlify deployment later in the course.
- This video tutorial (2 minutes) is old and has some inaccuracies.
- you can watch it, but for detail use OUR instructions.
- These written instructions are also not perfect:https://www.netlify.com/blog/2016/09/29/a-step-by-step-guide-deploying-on-netlify/ (you should not fill in "dir" and "build command" (until the React module))
- The official Netlify docs may be initially overwhelming - you won't need to use many of their features.